Original Chocolate Chiffon Pie
|Flaky pastry ii/1/2 package piecrust mix||1|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||4 , cut up|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Prepare baked pastry shell.
2. Mix gelatin and sugar in a medium-size saucepan; stir in milk until well blended; add chocolate.
3. Cook, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves and chocolate melts. Remove saucepan from heat.
4. Beat egg yolks with fork in a small bowl; gradually pour a generous 1/2 cup of the hot chocolate mixture into eggs. Stir back into saucepan.
5. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into a bowl. Chill 1 hour or until cold.
6. Beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer at high speed until stiff, but not dry.
7. Fold egg whites into cold chocolate mixture until well blended. Pour into baked pastry shell.
8. Chill at least 4 hours, or overnight. Just before serving, beat cream in a small bowl until stiff. Top pie with whipped cream. Either chocolate curls or chocolate shavings make nice garnishes.