Coconut Cream Pie
|Vanilla wafer crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (About 26 Wafers)|
|Reduced calorie stick margarine||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Cooking spray||1 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolks||2 Large, lightly beaten|
|Skim milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Flaked sweetened coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Imitation coconut extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg whites||3 Large (At Room Temperature)|
|Flaked sweetened coconut||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine crumbs and margarine in a bowl; stir well. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes; let cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
3. Place egg yolks in a bowl; stir well, and set aside. Combine 6 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat.
4. Gradually stir one-fourth of hot milk mixture into yolks, and add to remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup coconut, vanilla, and coconut extract. Pour into prepared crust, and set aside.
5. Beat egg whites with clean, dry beaters at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves.
6. Spread egg white mixture over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Store any leftover pie loosely covered in the refrigerator.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2026 Calories from Fat 713
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 79 g122.2%
Saturated Fat 51.7 g258.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 381.8 mg127.3%
Sodium 1829.6 mg76.2%
Total Carbohydrates 297 g99.1%
Dietary Fiber 10.3 g41.3%
Sugars 221.7 g
Protein 47 g93.5%
Vitamin A 30.9% Vitamin C 9.7%
Calcium 83.5% Iron 17.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet