Rum Flavored Black Bottom Pie
|Flaky pastry/1/2 package piecrust mix||1|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||6 , well beaten|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||2 , melted|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Golden rum||3 Tablespoon|
1. Prepare baked pastry shell.
2. Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a medium-size saucepan; slowly stir in milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantiy, until thickened. Blend in a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks; return mixture to saucepan. Cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until custard coats spoon. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
3. Measure out 2 cups of the custard into a medium-size bowl; stir in chocolate; cool. Pour into baked pastry shell. Chill.
4. Soften gelatin in water in a custard cup; add to remaining hot custard; stir until dissolved. Stir in rum. Place bowl in a pan of ice and water to speed setting. Chill, stirring often, until slightly thickened.
5. Beat egg whites in a medium-size bowl until foamy white and double in volume; slowly beat in 1/2 cup sugar until meringue stands in firm peaks.
6. Fold meringue into chilled gelatin mixture; chill until mixture mounds. Spoon over chocolate layer.
7. Chill several hours, preferably overnight, until firm. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate curls , if you wish.