High Apple Pie
|Plain flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Icing sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter||6 Ounce, cut into cubes (185 Grams)|
|Cold water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Apples||6 Large, peeled, cored and sliced|
|Sultanas||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Caster sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Combine flour, icing sugar and butter in a blender or food processor, process until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs; transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add enough cold water to mix to a firm dough.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll out 2/3 pastry, large enough to line the base and slightly overlap side of a 20 cm / 8 in springform pan.
3. Place apple slices in a saucepan of water over moderate heat, simmer until just tender; drain and cool to room temperature. Fill pastry case with apples and sultanas, sprinkle with extra sugar, cloves and cinnamon.
4. Roll out remaining pastry, brush edge of pie with egg white, cover with pastry, press edges together and trim.
5. Cut a few slits in pastry top, brush with remaining egg white and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake in moderate oven for 1 hour; stand 30 minutes before serving.