Chicken and Mushroom Pie
|Dried porcini mushrooms||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Grams Or 1/4 Cup)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Grams Or 1/4 Cup)|
|Hot chicken stock||8 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter Or 1 Cup)|
|Single cream||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon, Light One)|
|Onion||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Celery sticks||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Fresh mushrooms||2 Ounce, quartered (3/4 Cup Or 50 Grams)|
|Cooked chicken meat||1 Pound, cubed (450 Grams)|
|Peas||2 Ounce (Fresh / Frozen, 50 Grams Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Egg||1 , beaten (To Glaze)|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (225 Grams Or 2 Cups, All Purpose Flour)|
|Cold butter||4 Ounce, diced (115 Gram Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Vegetable fat||2 1⁄2 Ounce, diced (65 Gram Or 1/3 Cup)|
|Chilled water||120 Milliliter (8 Tablespoon)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Cut or rub in the butter and white vegetable fat until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with 90ml/6 tbsp chilled water and mix until the dough holds together. If the dough is too crumbly, add a little more water, 15ml/1 tbsp at a time.
2. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it into a round. Wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
3. To make the filling, place the porcini mushrooms in a bowl. Add hot water to cover and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Drain in a muslin- (cheesecloth-) lined sieve, then dry well on kitchen paper. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
4. Melt half of the butter in a heavy pan. Whisk in the flour and cook until bubbling, whisking constantly. Add the hot stock and whisk over a medium heat until the mixture boils. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then whisk in the cream. Season to taste, and set aside.
5. Heat the remaining butter in a large, non-stick frying pan and cook the onion and carrots over a low heat for about 5 minutes. Add the celery and fresh mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the cooked chicken, peas and drained porcini mushrooms.
6. Add the chicken mixture to the hot cream sauce and stir to mix. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Spoon the mixture into a 2.5 litre/4 pint/2 1/2 quart oval baking dish.
7. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 3mm/1/8in. Cut out an oval 2.5cm/1in larger all around than the dish. Lay the pastry over the filling. Press around the edge of the dish to seal, then trim off the excess pastry. Crimp the edge of the pastry by pushing the forefinger of one hand into the pastry edge and, using the thumb and forefinger of the other hand, pinch the pastry. Continue all round the pastry edge.
8. Press together the pastry trimmings and roll out again. Cut out mushroom shapes with a sharp knife and stick them on to the pastry lid with beaten egg. Glaze the lid with beaten egg and cut several slits in the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
9. Bake the pie for about 30 minutes, until the pastry has browned. Serve the pie hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4125 Calories from Fat 2561
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 289 g445.4%
Saturated Fat 123.1 g615.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 977.7 mg325.9%
Sodium 2427.8 mg101.2%
Total Carbohydrates 231 g77.1%
Dietary Fiber 16.5 g65.9%
Sugars 21.8 g
Protein 149 g298.1%
Vitamin A 534.8% Vitamin C 75.1%
Calcium 34.3% Iron 55.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet