Lemon Angel Pie
|Eggs||4 Small, separated|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Generously butter a 9-inch pie plate.
2. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and vanilla in a large bowl, until foamy white and double in volume. Using an electric mixer, gradually beat in 1 cup of the sugar, until sugar dissolves completely and meringue stands in stiff peaks (about 25 minutes).
3. Spoon meringue into pie plate. Spread almost to side of plate, hollowing center and building up edge slightly to form a shell.
4. Bake in a very slow oven (275°) 1 hour, or until firm and lightly golden. Cool completely in pie plate on wire rack.
5. While shell bakes, mix remaining 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium-size saucepan. Stir in water, then beat in egg yolks and lemon juice.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, and boils, 3 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in butter or margarine, until melted; pour into- medium-size bowl; cover. Chill until completely cold.
7. Beat cream in a medium-size bowl until stiff. Layer lemon filling, alternately with whipped cream, into meringue shell. Chill about 5 hours, or overnight, before cutting.