Mini Pork and Bacon Pies
|Sunflower oil||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Pork||8 Ounce, coarsely chopped (225 Gram)|
|Cooked bacon||4 Ounce, finely diced (115 Gram)|
|Chopped fresh herbs||45 Milliliter (Such As Sage, Parsley And Oregano, 3 Tablespoon)|
|Eggs||6 , hard-boiled and halved|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Powdered aspic||3⁄4 Ounce (20 Gram)|
|Boiling water||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter, 1 1/4 Cups)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For the hot water crust pastry|
|All purpose flour||1 Pound (Plain, 450 Gram, 4 Cups)|
|White vegetable fat||4 Ounce (115 Gram, 4 Cups)|
|Water||9 Fluid Ounce (275 Milliliter, Generous 1 Cup)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl and add a good pinch each of salt and pepper. Gently heat the fat and water in a large pan until the fat has melted. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to the boil. Pour the hot liquid into the flour, stirring constantly.
2. Press the mixture into a ball of dough using a spoon. When the dough is smooth, cover the bowl and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook until soft. Stir in the pork and bacon and cook until just brown. Remove from the heat and stir in the herbs and seasoning.
4. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Use a 12cm/ 4 1/2in fluted cutter to stamp out rounds and use to line 12 muffin pans. Place some of the meat mixture in each pie, then add half an egg to each and top with the remaining meat mixture.
5. Roll out the remaining pastry and use a 7.5cm/3in fluted cutter to stamp out lids for the pies. Dampen the rim of each pastry base and press a lid in place. Pinch the edges to seal. Brush with egg yolk and make a small steam hole in the top of each pie.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Leave the pies to cool for 15 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Meanwhile, stir the aspic powder into the boiling water until dissolved. Shape a piece of foil into a small funnel and use this to guide a little aspic through the hole in the top of each pie.
8. Leave to cool and set, then chill the pies for up to 24 hours before serving at room temperature.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4086 Calories from Fat 1906
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 214 g329.6%
Saturated Fat 57.6 g288%
Trans Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 1709.9 mg570%
Sodium 3248.3 mg135.3%
Total Carbohydrates 363 g121.2%
Dietary Fiber 15.2 g60.6%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 176 g351.7%
Vitamin A 71.8% Vitamin C 36.3%
Calcium 32.3% Iron 170.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet