Beef and Vegetable Pie
|Lean beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Shortening/Margarine / butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pie pastry||1 (For 1 Crust Pie)|
1. Start oven, set at Hot, 425° F. Have a 1 1/2 quart baking dish ready.
2. Wipe the meat with a clean, damp cloth. Cut into 1/2-inch dice, brown on all sides in shortening in a 2-quart kettle. Add enough boiling water just to cover the meat. Add the salt and pepper, cover and simmer about 40 minutes.
3. Wash, peel and quarter the potatoes; scrape and quarter the carrots; peel and slice the onions. Add these vegetables to the meat, simmer until tender, about 25 minutes.
4. Mix 1/2 cup cold water with the flour to make a smooth paste. Stir into the simmering liquid and stir 1 or 2 minutes.
5. Pour the meat and vegetables and their gravy into the baking dish. Cover them with the pastry, rolled 1/4-inch thick. Crimp the pastry around the edge of the dish and cut a few gashes in the top to permit steam to escape.
6. Bake 15 minutes, or until the pastry top is golden brown.