Sweet Short Crust Key Lime Pie
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Sweetened skimmed condensed milk||14 Ounce (1 Can, 400 Gram)|
|Limes||3 , rind grated and juiced|
|Caster sugar||30 Milliliter (Superfine, 2 Tablespoon)|
|Double heavy cream||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter, 1 1/4 Cups)|
|Limes||3 , thinly sliced|
|Pared lime rind||1 Tablespoon (For Decoration)|
|Fresh mint sprigs||1 (For Decoration)|
|All purpose flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram, 2 Cups, Plain)|
|Chilled butter||4 Ounce, diced (115 Gram, 1/2 Up)|
|Caster sugar||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon, Superfine)|
|Chilled water||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, egg yolks, salt and enough water to bind together. Knead lightly and briefly to form a soft dough.
2. Roll out the pastry thinly on a lightly floured surface and use to line a deep 21cm/8 1/2in fluted flan tin (quiche pan), allowing the excess pastry to hang over the edge. Prick the base of the pastry case all over with a fork, wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Trim off the excess pastry from around the edge of the pastry case using a sharp knife, then line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
4. Bake the pastry case for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment and beans and return the pastry case to the oven for 10 minutes more to lightly brown.
5. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks in a large bowl until light and creamy, then beat in the condensed milk, along with the lime rind and juice. Add the food colouring, if using, and continue to beat until the mixture is thick.
6. Whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl until stiff peaks form. Whisk in the sugar, then fold into the lime mixture.
7. Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3. Pour the lime filling into the pastry case. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the pie has set and is starting to brown. Cool, then chill.
8. Just before serving, whip the cream for the topping and spoon it around the edge of the pie. Cut the lime slices once from the centre to the edge, then twist each slice and arrange. Decorate with lime rind and sprigs of fresh mint.