Sweet Potato Pie Recipe: How To Make Easy, Southern Sweet Potato Pie
|For the crust|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Crisco||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs) (butter flavored)|
|White sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Ice water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the filling|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a pot, put 2 sweet potatoes, cover with water and bring it to boil on medium heat.
2. Cook for around 45-55 minutes or till they are soft.
3. Remove from pot and set aside to cool.
4. CRUST: In a bowl add the flour and Crisco, mix well until it resembles bread crumbs.
5. Add sugar and salt. Mix the egg in ice cold water.
6. Pour into the crust mixture and stir until combined.
7. Sprinkle flour on a work surface and just knead the mixture lightly, but not too much. Gather into a dough ball.
8. Divide the ball into two pieces (Store the other half for later use in fridge).
9. Roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness and place it into a deep dish pie pan. Shape the crust using your hands.
10. Refrigerate until ready to use.
11. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
12. FILLING: Peel the skin off the cooled and cooked sweet potatoes.
13. Transfer it into a bowl and mash it up with a fork.
14. Using an electric beater mix the sweet potatoes until smooth and creamy.
15. Add the butter and continue to mix till combined.
16. Put the sugars, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and flour. Beat until mixture is smooth.
17. Pour into prepared pie crust and bake for 55- 60 minutes.
18. Remove from the oven and let it cool on the counter for about 30 minutes.
19. Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to set completely.
20. In a serving plate, slice and serve it as a dessert.
Brush the pie crust with egg whites to get that shiny crust look if desired.