Cheese Pie Or Cake
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream/Evaporated milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cottage cheese||2 Pound (4 Cups)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Sifted flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
1. Crush the zwieback and roll to fine crumbs; combine half the crumbs with the sugar, salt and melted butter or margarine and mix until well blended. Spread over the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan with removable bottom; cover the pan with waxed paper and place in the refrigerator to chill while you are preparing the filling.
2. Start oven, set at Moderate, 350° F.
3. Combine the sugar and cream and stir until the sugar is dissolved; add the cottage cheese, salt, well-beaten egg yolks, flour, vanilla and grated lemon peel; beat thoroughly until well blended and smooth.
4. Beat the egg whites stiff and fold into the cheese mixture.
5. Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining crumbs. Bake about 1 hour.
6. Let the pie cool in the baking pan.