Fresh Berry Pie
|Whole grain pastry flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ice water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Fresh berries/18 ounces partially thawed frozen berries||6 Cup (96 tbs), frozen|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Lemon zest||1 Teaspoon (From 1 Lemon)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. Prehear the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the pastry flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Grate the butter into the flour mixture. Using your hands or a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour mixture until the pieces are about the size of peas.
3. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and blend until a soft, moist dough forms. Form the dough into a flat round disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
To make the filling:
1. When the dough is chilled, combine the berries, sugar, tapioca, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Toss to coat well.
2. Place the dough on a well-floured surface and roll to about a 1/8-inch thickness, turning the dough often to keep it well floured. Fold the dough in half and place in a 9- or 10-inch pie plate. Turn under and crimp the crust. Spoon the berry filling into the crust.
3. Bake for 1 hour, or until the crust is lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.