Coconut Pineapple Cream Pie
|Pie crusts||15 Ounce (All Ready)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Canned crushed pineapple in its own juice||16 Ounce (Undrained, 2 Cans, 8 Ounce Each)|
|Nonalcoholic pina colada drink mixer||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , slightly beaten|
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted|
1. Prepare pie crust according to package directions for filled one-crust pie using 9-inch pie pan.
2. (Refrigerate remaining crust for later use.) Heat oven to 425°F.
3. In medium saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, 5 teaspoons cornstarch and dash salt; blend well.
4. Stir in pineapple.
5. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and just begins to boil, about 8 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Pour into pie crust-lined pan.
7. Bake at 425°F. for 14 to 20 minutes or until filling is set and crust is golden brown.
9. In same medium saucepan, combine 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; blend well.
10. Add 1/4 cup pina colada drink mixer; stir until smooth.
11. Add remaining drink mixer; blend well.
12. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and just begins to boil, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
13. Remove from heat.
14. Stir half of hot mixture into egg yolks.
15. Gradually stir yolk mixture into hot mixture in saucepan.
16. Cook over medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly.
17. Remove from heat.
18. Stir in 1 cup coconut and vanilla.
19. Cover surface with plastic wrap.
20. Refrigerate until just cool, about 1 hour.
21. In small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
22. Gently fold into topping.
23. Spoon over cooled filling; spread to edge of crust.
24. Sprinkle 1/2 cup toasted coconut evenly over top of pie.
25. Refrigerate 1 hour or until thoroughly chilled.
26. Store in refrigerator.