Cape Cod Clam Pie
|Pie crust mix||11 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Canned minced clams||16 Ounce (2 Cans, 8 Ounce Each)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Coarse unsalted soda cracker crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (6 Crackers)|
|Cold water||1 Teaspoon|
1. Prepare piecrust mix, or make pastry from your own favorite two-crust recipe. Roll out half to a 12-inch round on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; fit into a 9-inch pie plate.
2. Beat eggs well in a medium-size bowl; measure 1 tablespoon into a cup for Step 4.
3. Drain liquid from clams; measure 3/4 cup and stir into beaten eggs with the clams, milk, cracker crumbs, salt and pepper. Spoon into prepared pastry shell; dot the filling evenly with the butter or margarine.
4. Roll out the remaining pastry to an 11-inch round; cut several slits near center to let steam escape; cover pie. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; fold edges under, flush with rim; flute all around. Stir cold water into beaten egg in cup; brush over pastry.
5. Bake in very hot oven (450°) 15 minutes; lower oven temperature to moderate (350°). Bake 30 minutes longer, or until golden. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. To serve, cut into wedges.