Asparagus Pinwheel Pie
|Asparagus||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Hard cooked eggs||4 , shelled|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Mixed salad herbs||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Dash|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth/1 chicken bouillon cube||1 Teaspoon (1 Envelope)|
1. Prepare Plain Pastry . Roll dough out to a 12-inch round on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch; turn under, flush with rim; flute to make a stand-up edge. Prick shell all over with a fork.
2. Bake in hot oven (425°) 15 minutes, or until golden.
3. While the pie shell bakes, break tough woody ends from asparagus; wash stalks well. If scales are large or sandy, cut off with a sharp knife-wash stalks again. Cut tips of 16 of the stalks to 4-inch lengths; tie in bundle; then stand in deep, large saucepan. Cut all remaining asparagus into 1-inch-long pieces; place around stalks in pan. Pour in enough boiling water to cover pieces; cover.
4. Cook 15 minutes, or just until tender; drain well.
5. Slice one egg crosswise; set aside; dice remaining eggs.
6. Melt butter or margarine in a medium-size saucepan; stir in the flour, mixed salad herbs and nutmeg; cook, stirring constantly, just until bubbly. Stir in milk and instant chicken broth or bouillon cube, crushing bouillon cube, if used, with a spoon; continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and bubbles 3 minutes. Fold in asparagus pieces and the diced eggs. Spoon into pastry shell.
7. Cut the string from asparagus spears; arrange, tip ends out, on top; place egg slices, overlapping, in center. To serve, cut the pie into wedges; lift out with a wide spatula.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1251 Calories from Fat 738
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 83 g127.4%
Saturated Fat 37 g184.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1086.2 mg362.1%
Sodium 514.7 mg21.4%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.6%
Sugars 27.2 g
Protein 47 g94.5%
Vitamin A 70.7% Vitamin C 9.5%
Calcium 42.5% Iron 39.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet