Crisscross Chicken Pie
|Broiler fryer chicken||1 , cut up|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Celery tops||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1 Handful)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (For Chicken)|
|Curry cream sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Frozen peas||10 Ounce, cooked, drained (1 Package)|
|Pimiento||1 , chopped|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (For Pastry)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1. Simmer chicken with water, celery tops, 1 teaspoon salt and peppercorns in kettle 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove from broth and let cool until easy to handle.
2. Strain broth into 4-cup measure; add water, if needed, to make 3 cups. Make Curry-Cream Sauce.
3. Slip skin from chicken, then remove meat from bones. (It comes off easily while it's still warm.) Cut into bite-size pieces; toss with the peas, pimiento and 2 cups of the Curry-Cream Sauce in medium-size bowl. Set aside for Step 5. (Save the remaining sauce to reheat and serve over pie.)
4. Sift flour and 1 teaspoon salt into medium-size bowl; cut in the shortening until mixture is crumbly; stir in milk with a fork just until dough holds together.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; knead dough lightly 5 or 6 times. Roll out two-thirds of dough to a rectangle 16x12 inches; fit dough into a 10x6x2-inch baking dish. Spoon chicken mixture into shell.
6. Roll out remaining pastry to a rectangle about 12x8 inches; cut into 9 strips with knife or pastry wheel. Lay 5 strips lengthwise over filling. Halve remaining 4 strips; weave across long strips to make a crisscross top. Trim overhang to 1 inch; fold under; flute.
7. Bake in a hot oven (400°) 20 minutes; then reduce the heat to moderate (350°). Bake 25 minutes longer, until golden. Serve with remaining hot Curry-Cream Sauce.