Walnut Cheese Pie
|No cook cornflake pie shell||1 (1 recipe)|
|Cream cheese pastry||1 (1 recipe)|
|Shelled walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), roughly chopped|
|Mashed cottage cheese||250 Gram (1 cup)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Double cream||200 Milliliter (4/5 cup)|
|Sugar||200 Milliliter (4/5 cup)|
|Walnut halves||20 (for topping)|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon (for topping)|
1. Prepare the cornflake pie shell as directed. Press evenly over the bottom of a greased 7" x 8" (1 8-20 cm.) round cake tin or loose bottom cake tin. Chill while you make the filling.
2. Sieve cottage cheese through a wire sieve and knead until very smooth. Add beaten egg yolks, 1/4 cup castor sugar at a time. Beat well at low speed, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Add honey, castor sugar and cream alternatively a little at a time, beating well until smooth.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff.
5. Add chopped walnuts and mix well.
6. Fold in beaten egg white a tablespoon first then remaining egg whites. Mix lightly.
7. Spoon the mixture into prepared tin and smooth the surface. Leave for 15 minutes to settle.
8. Arrange walnut halves on top of the cheese cake mixture.
9. Bake in a preheated oven (1 60Â°C-325Â°F-gas mark-3) for 1 1/2 hours until firm and spongy to touch. Turn off the oven and keep the door ajar and leave the pie to cool in the oven for 1 hour.
10. Remove and chill for 4 hours. Ease the side of the tin carefully away from the pie and lift the cheese cake.
11. Dust the surface with sieved icing sugar.
Eggless Walnut Cheese Pie:
1/2 cup/1 25 ml. extra double cream.
1. Omit eggs. Mix together extra cream and milk.
2. At stage 4 add cream and milk mixture and follow stage 5 to 1 1 as instructed above.