Coconut Cream Pie
|Pastry||1 (For Single Crust Pie)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour/1/4 cup cornstarch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned flaked coconut||3 1⁄2 Ounce (1 1/3 Cups)|
|Meringue||1 (For Pie)|
1. Prepare and roll out pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate.
2. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge. Flute edge; prick pastry.
3. Bake in 450° oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till golden. Cool thoroughly on rack.
For filling, in saucepan combine sugar, flour or cornstarch, and salt.
1. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir the mixture till thickened and bubbly.
2. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove saucepan from heat.
3. Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue. Beat egg yolks slightly.
4. Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into yolks. Return egg mixture to saucepan; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in butter or margarine and vanilla. Stir in 1 cup of the coconut.
6. Pour hot mixture into baked pastry shell.
7. Make Meringue for Pie using the 4 reserved egg whites. Spread the meringue over hot filling; seal to edge.
Sprinkle meringue with the remaining coconut.
8. Bake in 350° oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till meringue is golden.
9. Cool. Cover; chill to store.