Healthy Chicken Pot Pie
|Unbleached all-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Chopped fresh dill||2 Tablespoon|
|Margarine||2 Tablespoon, well chilled|
|Ice water||1 Tablespoon|
|Low sodium chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unpeeled diced new potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Broccoli florets||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Skinless cooked chicken breast||1⁄2 Pound, cut into large chunks|
1. In a small bowl stir together the flour, salt and 1 tablespoon of the dill. Cut in the margarine with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the ice water and stir until the dough forms a ball. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and set aside.
2. Bring the stock to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the potatoes and onions and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan and simmer the vegetables 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°
4. Uncover the pan, add the broccoli and corn and return the mixture to a boil.
5. In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of cold water until smooth. Add the chicken to the saucepan, then stir in the cornstarch mixture and simmer 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Stir in the remaining dill. Turn the chicken mixture into a shallow 10-inch baking dish and set aside.
6. Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin. With your hands, flatten the dough into a disk, then roll it out 1/4-inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut out a decorative chicken shape. (You may find it easier to make a cardboard pattern first.) Or cut small shapes from the dough with cookie cutters. Place the cutout dough on top of the chicken mixture and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.