"Brown Bag" French Apple Pie
|Vanilla ice cream||1|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ice water||5 Tablespoon|
|Apples||8 Cup (128 tbs), peeled|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
To make the pie: 1) Combine the first measure of flour, salt and shortening
using a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then stir
in the water a little at a time, using a fork, and form the dough into a
2) Roll out the pastry dough on a lightly floured board. Roll to an 11" or
12" diameter and fit into a 9" pie pan fluting the edges.
3) Combine the sugar, the second measure of flour, the cinnamon, the nutmeg
and the lemon juice in a large bowl then toss the apple slices in the
mixture and arrange them in the pie crust.
To make the topping: 4) Combine the sugar and flour in a bowl and cut in
the butter using a pastry cutter then sprinkle the topping over the apple
5) Place the pie in the LARGE paper bag and place the paper bag on a baking
sheet and loosely fold the open end of the bag under. Bake until the apples
are tender (50-60 minutes).
6) Carefully remove the pie from the bag ~ CAUTION: WATCH OUT FOR THE STEAM
COMING OUT OF THE BAG!
7) Serve warm with generous portions of vanilla ice cream.