Crustless Apple Pie
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooking apples||6 Medium, washed, cored, pared, and cut in eighths|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Lightly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Blend granulated sugar and cinnamon in a large, heavy saucepan. Stir in water and apples. Bring to boiling, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, blend flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. Cream shortening with brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the flour mixture, adding gradually.
4. Turn apples and syrup into a greased 9-inch pie pan. Cover apples completely with the topping.
5. Bake at 350°F about 35 minutes, until apples are tender and topping is browned. Cool on rack.