Banana Cream Pie With Apple Jelly
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, softened|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baked graham cracker crust||1|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ripe bananas||2 Medium|
|Apple jelly||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Prepare custard: In 3-quart saucepan, stir sugar, cornstarch, and salt; stir in milk until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils; cook 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat.
2. In bowl, beat egg yolks; stir in small amount of hot milk mixture until blended. Slowly pour yolk mixture back into hot milk mixture, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping. Return saucepan to heat; cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and boils. Cook 1 minute. Stir in butter or margarine and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cool but not set.
3. Meanwhile, prepare and bake 9-inch crust as directed; cool.
4. When custard is cool, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. With rubber spatula or wire whisk, fold whipped cream into custard.
5. Thinly slice bananas. Line piecrust with half of banana slices; top with custard mixture and then remaining banana slices.
6. In 1-quart saucepan over low heat, melt apple jelly. Brush top of pie with melted jelly. Refrigerate pie until custard is completely set, about 2 hours.