Round Steak And Kidney Pie
|Salt||1 3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 1⁄4 Cup (68 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Eggs||3 Medium, lightly beaten|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Round steak||2 Pound, cut 0.5 inch thick|
|Beef kidney||1⁄2 Pound|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Mix one-quarter teaspoon of the salt with four cups sifted flour. Mix the eggs with the milk and reserve about four tablespoons for a glaze. Add the milk mixture to the flour and stir together to form a stiff dough. Knead until smooth.
2. Roll into a thin sheet and dot with bits of half a stick of butter. Sift a light dusting of flour over the butter. Fold the corners of the dough to the center, fold in half, pound to flatten and roll into a sheet. Repeat process until all the butter has been folded in. Chill between each rolling if the butter softens. When all the butter has been used, chill the dough.
3. Preheat the oven to hot (425° F.).
4. While the pastry is chilling, cut the steak into three-inch squares and pound lightly. Place a piece of kidney on each slice of beef and roll jelly roll fashion. Mix one tablespoon flour, one and one-half teaspoons salt and the pepper and sprinkle over the rolls. Stand the rolls on end in a shallow six- to eight-cup casserole.
5. Roll the chilled pastry to about one-quarter-inch thickness and cut out a shape that is one inch larger than the top of the casserole. Cut a one-inch hole in the center of the pastry. Cut six small leaves from scraps of pastry and use the balance of the pastry scraps to line the rim of the casserole. Place top on pie loosely, moisten the rim and seal the edge. Brush bottoms of leaves with the diluted egg reserved earlier and arrange the leaves as a trim on top of pie. Brush whole of top with the egg.
6. Bake at 425° twelve minutes, lower the heat to moderate (325° F.); bake two hours longer.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5548 Calories from Fat 2535
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 286 g440%
Saturated Fat 154.2 g771%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 2353.6 mg784.5%
Sodium 4598.6 mg191.6%
Total Carbohydrates 415 g138.3%
Dietary Fiber 15 g60%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 309 g617.5%
Vitamin A 191.1% Vitamin C 36.4%
Calcium 53.4% Iron 257.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet