The holiday season is here and you might be baking a lot of pies. This recipe will come in handy to make that amazing flaky pies.
3 Cup (48 tbs)
White granulated sugar
12 Tablespoon (very cold)
Butter flavored shortening
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (very cold)
1. Dice the cold butter and shortening into cubes and keep it in the freezer while you prepare the flour mixture, about 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Using a food processor, add the flour, salt and sugar, pulse about 4 or 5 times to mix well.
3. Add the cold shortening and butter and pulse until the butter and shortening is the size of peas.
4. Next, while the machine is running, slowing drizzle the ice water through the feed tube and stop. Pulse until the dough starts to form a ball. Dump out the dough onto a floured surface and form a disk.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
6. After refrigeration, cut the dough in half, form a ball, and roll starting from the center to the outer edge.
7. Turn and flour the dough to make sure it doesn’t stick.
8. Once it’s fully rolled out, fold it in half which will make it easier to place in a baking dish.
9. Once you’ve used this pie crust for your favorite dish, brush it with egg wash (which is one whole egg with a tablespoon of water, beaten) or heavy cream just before baking.