Broccoli isn’t a traditional Korean vegetable, so this is something that was invented by the chef herself. In this video, the chef demonstrates how to arrange broccoli and also she gives you an idea of making your own lunch in a lunch box.
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Separate the florets from the stems with a knife and cut them into bite sized pieces by cutting lengthwise into halves or quarters.
2. Remove the tough bottom ends of the stems and skin off the rough parts. Then cut them into bite sized pieces.
3. Rinse and drain the broccoli florets and stems and put them into a strainer over a large bowl.
To make pickle juice:
4. Put 5 cups of water, ¼ cup of salt, ¼ cup of sugar and ½ cup of vinegar into a pot and bring to a boil.
5. When the pickle juice boils, pour it over the broccoli little by little to blanch. The hot boiling juice will go through the strainer and gather in the bowl under the strainer.
6. Immerse the blanched broccoli into icy cold water to keep its bright green color and strain it.
7. Put the broccoli into a glass jar and wait until the pickle juice cools down.
8. After the juice cools, pour it into the jar and close the lid.
9. Store it in the refrigerator and use as desired.
If you like pickles then here is a Korean way of pickling broccoli. Maangchi's broccoli pickle recipe is so easy to make and looks mouth watering. Watching her cook and prepare the dish is so much fun and the background music is like icing to the cake. She even has the ingredients and instruction written on the video, just in case you miss them.