Balsamic Pickled Shallots
|Shallots/Pearl onions||53 Ounce (Small Sized, 1 1/2 Kilogram, 3 Pound 5 Ounce)|
|White wine vinegar||1 3⁄4 Pint (1 Liter)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Water||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Golden caster sugar||5 Ounce (140 Gram)|
|Cracked black peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
|Basil leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Handfuls)|
|Balsamic vinegar||3 1⁄2 Fluid Ounce (100 Milliliter)|
1) In a large bowl, add the shallots, cover with boiling water and allow to stand for 1 minute.
2) Drain the shallots, allow to cool, peel and keep aside.
3) In a large saucepan, combine all the other ingredients, except the balsamic vinegar.
4) Bring to a boil, then simmer over a low heat for 3 minutes.
5) Add the shallots and simmer for another 8-10 minutes, until just tender.
6) Scoop out the shallots and basil with a slotted spoon into sterilised jars then rapidly boil the liquid for 5 minutes.
7) Turn off the heat and stir in the balsamic vinegar.
8) Pour over the shallots to cover, then seal the jars and allow to stand for minimum 3 days.
9) Use the Balsamic Pickled Shallots as required.