Mustard Pickle Relish
Green peppers - 2 1/2 cups, finely diced
Sweet red peppers - 2 1/2 cups, finely diced
Kirby or any other variety of firm cucumber - 2 cups, sliced 1/2-inch thick
Cauliflower - 2 cups, cut in 1/2-inch florets
Flour - 1/4 cup
Powdered mustard - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
Garlic powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Cider vinegar - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Salt - 1/4 cup
Water - 10 cups
1) Take a large bowl and combine tomatoes, cucumbers, green and red peppers and cauliflower. Add salt and toss. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2) Next morning, drain the vegetables in a colander and rinse thoroughly.
3) Take a large saucepan and boil water in it. Add the vegetables and cover. Simmer for 2 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
4) Take a large enamel or stainless steel saucepan and combine vinegar, sugar, flour, mustard, turmeric, garlic powder and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and keep stirring constantly. Cook for 3 minutes or until thickened.
5) Add the prepared vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 minute.
6) Pack the mixture in jars leaving 1/4-inch head space. Make sure to remove any air bubbles with the help of a wooden spatula or any other non-metallic utensil. Cover, as per manufacturer's directions.
7) Process the jars in a bath of boiling water for 10 minutes. Keep the lids 1-inch below water.
8) Cool the jars and seal according to manufacturer's directions. Remove screw bands before storing.
9) Refrigerate in a covered container, if desired.
10) Serve with your favorite dishes for that sweet and tangy kick!