Pickled Beet Relish
|Mixed pickling spices||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange rind strip||3 (2 Inch X 1/2 Inch)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 1⁄4 Tablespoon|
|Beets||1 Pound, root and 1 inch stem intact, scrubbed|
|Raspberry vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As Required)|
1. In a muslin cloth/ cheesecloth, place spices, orange rind and brown sugar. Close and tie firmly so that the contents are firmly placed inside cloth bag.
2. In a large sauce pan, combine water, beets, spice bag and salt. Mix well and bring to boil.
3. Ensure that you add enough water to cover beets.
4. Once boiled, reduce flame and cover and cook for 30 minutes or till beets are cooked.
5. Using a soup strainer, separate beets from the cooking liquid. Reserve the liquid and discard the spice bag. Keep aside to cool.
6. Once beets are cooled, peel and keep aside.
7. In a medium bowl, combine raspberry vinegar, strained liquid and beets and mix well.
8. Cling wrap and refrigerate overnight or for minimum 8 hours.
9. Before serving, drain off excess liquid and coarsely grate beets. Place in serving bowl and serve chilled.