Melted Cheese with Potatoes and Pickles
|Imported swiss raclette cheese||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 16 slices, each approximately 1/8 inch thick, 5 inches long and 2 inches wide|
|Boiled new potatoes||4 Small, peeled and kept hot|
|Sour gherkins||8 Small (preferably imported cornichons)|
1. Preheat the oven to 500° for at least 15 minutes.
2. Keep four 10-inch ovenproof dinner plates in the oven and heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Note that the success of the raclettes, the plates must be very hot.
3. When it is about time to serve, take the plates from the oven, grasping them with potholders.
4. Quickly, arrange four slices of the cheese in the center of each plate, overlapping them slightly. The cheese will sizzle as soon as it touches with the plate.
5. Immediately, keep the four plates on the floor of the oven. If using an electric oven, keep the plates on a rack set in the first slot above the source of heat.
6. In about 2 minutes (5 to 6 minutes in an electric oven) the cheese will turn into a creamy, bubbly mass. Do not let it brown, not even a bit.
7. Take the plates from the oven. Arrange a potato and one or two gherkins and pickled onions on the side of each plate.
8. Serve immediately.
Keep each plate on a service plate to prevent it from scorching the table.