Nine Day Pickles
|Pickled cucumber/Small cucumbers and leave them whole||4 Quart, 4-inch cubes, cut in rounds ( not too thin)|
|Pickling salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (as required)|
|Cider vinegar||1 3⁄4 Quart|
|White sugar||3 Pound|
|Celery seed||1 Ounce|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Ounce|
1) Wash the cucumber thoroughly in cold water.
2) Pack the cucumber in stone jars or sterilized jars.
3) In a bowl, make the brine but mixing pickling salt and boiling water.
4) Pour the water immediately over the cucumbers.
5) Let it cool, and then cover with sterilized lids.
6) Leave it to marinate for 3 days.
7) Drain the pickling liquid and rinse the cucumbers.
8) In a large pot, bring the water to a boil along with alum
9) Place the cucumbers in the alum mixture, and let it marinate for 6 hours.
10) Drain the alum mixture.
11) In a saucepan, heat together vinegar, celery seeds, allspice, cinnamon stick and sugar until thickened and syrupy.
12) Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and let it stand for 3 days more.
13) Each day, drain the cucumbers, reserving the syrup.
14) In a saucepan, bring the syrup to boil and pour back over the cucumbers.
15) After 3 days place the cucumbers in sterilized jars.
16) Pour the boiling syrup over the cucumbers, cool and seal.
17) Serve as desired.