|Cucumber/Green tomatoes||7 Pound|
|Ground ginger||1 1⁄8 Ounce (1/2 Cup)|
|Cider vinegar||2 Quart|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole allspice||1 Teaspoon|
|Celery seed||1 Teaspoon|
1) Wash cucumbers or tomatoes. Slice medium thin.
2) Measure and put in stone crock or enamel container.
3) In a large bowl take first 2 gallons water and dissolve slaked lime in it.
4) Pour the mixture over cucumbers.
5) Using a glass plate, weight cucumbers to cover with brine at all times.
6) Let stand for 24 hours.
7) In a large bowl add 2 gallons water and dissolve alum in it.
8) Pour it over cucumbers.
9) Let stand for 24 hours.
10) Drain out and rinse under cold water.
11) In a large bowl, add ginger with third 2 gallons water.
12) Pour it over cucumbers.
13) Keep aside for 6 hours.
14) Drain out and rinse under cold water.
15) In a small bowl mix sugar, vinegar and spices. Stir the syrup.
16) Pour the syrup over cucumbers and keep aside for 4 hours.
17) Bing it to boil and boil for 10 minutes.
18) Transfer into hot sterilized jars with pickles.
19) Boil the syrup and pour over pickles, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
20) If required make additional syrup to cover pickles.
21) Seal immediately.
22) Serve as desired.