|Pearl onions||8 Pint, peeled|
|Salt||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|White vinegar||7 Cup (112 tbs) (5% acidity)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole peppercorns||4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seed||4 Teaspoon|
1) In a large bowl, place the onions and sprinkle salt all over.
2) With water, cover the onions.
3) Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
4) As per the manufacturer's instructions, prepare the half-pint canning jars, lids and bands to be used.
5) In a small stockpot, combine together the vinegar and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil.
6) Reduce the heat and ensure that the mixture stays hot.
7) Drain the refrigerated onions and wash with cold water.
8) With the onions, fill the sterilized jars.
9) Add 1 bay leaf and 1 teaspoon each of green peppercorns, red peppercorns and mustard seed to each of the onion filled jars.
10) To each jar, add the hot vinegar mixture to within about ½-inch of top.
11) Wipe the rims of the jar and the threads.
12) Cover the jars quickly with lids and screw the bands on tightly.
13) Process the jars for about 10 minutes as per the water-bath method as directed by the USDA.
14) Once the jars have cooled, check the seals. The lids should be curved down or stay so when pressed.
15) Place all the unsealed jars in the refrigerator.
16) Serve the Pickled Onions as preferred, at room temperature. These make a very good side dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3227 Calories from Fat 51
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.4%
Saturated Fat 0.38 g1.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4555 mg189.8%
Total Carbohydrates 770 g256.6%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 336.6 g
Protein 50 g100.9%
Vitamin A 5.2% Vitamin C 154.6%
Calcium 104.5% Iron 20.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet