Assorted Bread And Butter Pickles
|Pickling cucumbers||2 Pound (8 Medium)|
|Onions||2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Coarse salt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Kosher)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mustard seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Trim the ends off and cut into 1/4-inch slices. You can also use crinkle-edged cutter to cut cucumber for an authentic look.
2) In a large mixing bowl, put cucumbers, onions, ice cubes and salt.
3) Let it stand for 1 hour, mixing occasionally.
4) Rinse and drain 3 times with cold water.
5) In a saucepan, put together vinegar, sugar , mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric.
6) Bring it to a boil over high heat.
7) Add the vegetables.
8) As the liquid starts to simmer remove from heat.
9) Put the vegetables and the liquid in a bowl, and let it cool.
10) Cover with a plastic film and refrigerate it.