|Ginger root piece||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Tomatoes||10 Ounce (300 Gram)|
|Apples||10 Ounce, peeled and cored (300 Gram)|
|Onions||8 Ounce, peeled (225 Gram)|
|Green pepper||1 Large, core and seeds removed|
|Carrot||1 Large, peeled|
|Cooking dates||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Soft light brown sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Lemon||1 , grated rind and juiced|
|Orange||1 , grated rind and juiced|
|Vinegar||1⁄2 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
1. Cover the ginger with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and peel. Slice thinly.
2. Slice the tomatoes, apples, onions, green pepper and carrot.
3. Chop the dates. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan.
4. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour then uncover and simmer for a further 40 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, sterilise and have ready warmed jars.
6. Bottle, cover and label the pickle.
7. Serve with meats (hot or cold), poultry or cheese.