Mixed Vegetable Pickle
|Green beans||1⁄4 Pound, topped and tailed and cut across in half|
|Green beans||1⁄4 Pound|
|White distilled vinegar/White wine vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Bay leaves||8 , crumbled|
|Garlic||12 Clove (60 gm)|
|Garlic||12 Clove (60 gm), peeled and roughly chopped|
|For the masala|
|Yellow mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Yellow mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Fresh ginger root piece||2 Inch, grated|
|Green chiles||3 , seeded|
|Cumin seeds||2 Teaspoon|
1) Cut the cauliflower into florets and the slice the carrots into pieces of about 1/4 inch thick.
2) Mix the florets and slices and wash the vegetables, then cover them with fresh cold water for an hour.
3) Drain the vegetables well and leave them in a siever.
4) Using a mortar, grind the masala spices together adding a little of the vinegar to make a paste.
5) In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderate-low heat.
6) When hot, add the bay leaves and garlic and cook, mixing many a times, for 2-3 minutes.
7) To the pan ,add the masala paste and fry further for 5 minutes.
8) To the pan, add the sugar, vegetables, peppercorns, salt to taste, and remaining vinegar.
9) Cook over low heat until the vegetables are just cooked through.
10) Take off the mixture from heat and allow to cool.
11) Into a clean glass or ceramic jar,transfer the mixture and cover with a nonmetallic, airtight lid.
12) Store in a cool, dark place or the refrigerator.
13) Serve chilled.