Cucumbers Stuffed with Ham and Sour Pickles
|Cucumbers||2 (6 To 8 Inches Long)|
|Boiled ham||1⁄4 Pound, diced (1/4-Inch Chunks)|
|Hard-cooked eggs||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Onions||2 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Minced sour pickles||2 Tablespoon|
|Prepared french mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Mayonnaise||4 Tablespoon (Freshly Made Or A Good Commercial Brand)|
1) Cut 1/2 inch off the tip of each cucumber, and then peel the cucumbers with a vegetable scraper or sharp knife.
2) Cut out the seeds and center pulp with a long iced-tea spoon, leaving a shell about 1/4 inch thick.
3) Pour 1/4 teaspoon of salt into each cucumber, rubbing it in evenly with your fingers.
4) Let the shells stand about 15 minutes, then dry them inside with a piece of paper towel.
5) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash the sardines to a paste.
6) Add the ham, eggs, onions, pickles, mustard and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
7) Stir the ingredients together until the mixture holds its shape in a spoon. (If it seems too dry, add more mayonnaise.)
8) Taste for seasoning.
9) The amount of salt needed will depend on the saltiness of the sardines and ham.
10) Stuff the cucumbers by standing them on end and spooning the filling in, tamping it down with a spoon as you proceed.
11) When they are all tightly packed, wrap them separately in wax paper or aluminum foil and refrigerate them for 2 hours, or until the filling is firm.
12) To serve, slice the cucumbers crosswise, on a slant, in slices about 1/2 inch thick.