Sliced Cucumber Pickles
|Boiling water||2 Quart|
|Salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cucumbers||12 1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Boiling water||1 Gallon|
|Brown sugar||6 Pound|
|Whole cloves||2 Tablespoon|
|White mustard seed||4 Tablespoon|
|Celery seed||4 Tablespoon|
|Mixed spices||4 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm)|
1. In a large pan, combine boiling water and salt. Stir until all the salt dissolves.
2. Add the sliced cucumbers to the brine liquid.
3. Cover and let the cucumber stand in the brine for 3 days.
4. Pour off the brine and boil till it come to a rapid boil.
Pour over cucumbers again and let stand 3 days.
5. Repeat this process again thus letting the cucumbers stand in concentrated brine for 9 days.
6. Combine boiling water, alum, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and cloves.
7. Pour over the cucumbers and brine for another 6 hours or overnight.
8. Drain the cucumbers, reserving the liquid and add them to a large stone jar.
9. Heat the liquid again and add along with the mustard, celery, spices, horseradish and garlic to the cucumbers.
10. Drain the pickle every day, reheat the liquid and pour over the cucumbers for 9 days.
11. Use as required in cooking or serve as an accompaniment.