Aunt Delia's Piccalilli
|Green tomatoes||2 Gallon (1 Peck)|
|Salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Mustard seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Tablespoon|
|Horseradish root||2 Large, grated / chopped (Sticks)|
|Peppers||3 , chopped|
|Onions||3 , chopped|
1. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and place in a bowl.
2. Sprinkle with salt, cover and keep overnight.
3. Drain the tomatoes.
4. Add chopped vegetables to it.
5. In a saucepan, combine the vinegar and sugar.
6. Place on a medium flame and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
7. Add the mustard, cassia, ground cloves and allspice to the vinegar.
8. Simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Add the tomatoes and vegetable mixture to the vinegar.
10. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
11. Serve the Piccalilli warm or cold as an accompaniment.
12. You can fill the warm piccalilli into sterilized jars and refrigerate until required.