|Pearl onions||3 Pound (Small Size)|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|For spiced vinegar|
|Vinegar||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs)|
|Pickling spice||2 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Chop off the onion ends and remove the outer papery skins. Rinse thoroughly and drain the onions.
2) Completely dissolve half of the salt in 2 1/2 quarts of water. Put the brine and onions in a large china or earthenware bowl, cover and soak the onions for 24 hours.
3) Drain the onions, rinse well and peel them.
4) Prepare a brine with the remaining salt and water, add the onions, cover with a plate and soak for a further 24 hours.
5) In an enameled or stainless steel saucepan, pour the vinegar, stir in the sugar, and the spices tied in a cheesecloth bag.
6) Stir over a low heat and to dissolve the sugar. Then bring to a boil, lower the heat again and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool, then remove the spice bag and discard.
7) Thoroughly drain and rinse the onions, then drain them gently.
8) Lightly put the onions into 2 sterilized jar. Pour over the cold spiced vinegar to cover the onions. Then add a few mustard seeds to each jar.
9) Seal the jars with canning lids as per sealing instructions and store the jars in a cool, dry place for 2 months before using.
10) Use as required.