Tasty Mixed Vegetable Pickle
|Fresh vegetables||1 Kilogram (A Mixture Of Cauliflower, Carrots, And Peas)|
|Mustard powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Chilly powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chilies||5 , broken into 2-3 pieces each|
|Green chilies||8 , slit|
|Mustard oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry roast and powder coarsely:|
|Aniseeds||1 Teaspoon (Saunf)|
|Onion seeds||1 Teaspoon (Kalaunji)|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon (Rai)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Fenugreek seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Methi)|
1. Wash the vegetables. Cut away the stem of the cauliflower and break into small florets. Cut the carrots into pieces of desired size. Shell the peas.
2. Tie the vegetables in a clean cloth, immerse in boiling water and allow to parboil for three to five minutes.
3. Remove cloth from water, spread the vegetables on a clean sheet and sun for a day.
4. Heat the oil, add the green chilllies and when done, the red chillies and roasted powder. (This is called panchporan). Stir fry adding the turmeric and chilly powder along with salt. Cool.
5. Transfer the vegetables onto a large vessel and add the fried and cooled masalas. Mix thoroughly, and put into a jar.
6. Keep the jar in the sun for a few days or until the oil surfaces. If the vegetables are not fully immersed in oil, add some more oil, heated and cooled.
Calories 497 Calories from Fat 353
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.6%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.42 mg0.14%
Sodium 131.7 mg5.5%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g25%
Sugars 9.3 g
Protein 6 g12.7%
Vitamin A 66.3% Vitamin C 86.9%
Calcium 9.4% Iron 14.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet