Spicy Mixed Vegetable Pickle
|Green chilies||30 Gram|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mustard powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fenugreek powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Prepare the pickle masala as follows: heat the oil, add the fenugreek powder and asafoetida, and fry. To this, add the rest of the masalas, salt and mix thoroughly. Set aside until needed.
2. Wash and cut the cauliflower and carrots into small pieces along with the ginger. Put these in a vessel. Add water and salt, and set aside for 3-4 hours.
3. Remove the vegetables from the salted water. Wash thoroughly in cold water, then drain and tie the vegetables in a clean muslin cloth.
4. Bring some water in a large saucepan to a boil. Dip the vegetables for 5-7 minutes until they are blanched. Remove from cloth and allow to cool.
5. Extract juice of 4 lemons and cut the others into small pieces. Cut the chillies into small pieces.
6. Heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and asafoetida and when done, add the chillies. Fry for two minutes and add the lemon pieces. Cook for another minute or two and remove from fire. Add the vegetables, pickle masalas and lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
7. Bottle when cool.