Curried Brinjal Pickle
|Brinjal||500 Gram (Round, Purple Variety)|
|Green chilies||10 , slit|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric piece/2 teaspoon turmeric powder||1 Small|
|Dried red chilies/1 1/2 -2 tablespoon chilly powder||12|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||8 Teaspoon (2 Tablespoon Plus 2 Teaspoon)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Wash, wipe dry the brinjals, and cut them into large pieces. Smear 2 teaspoons of salt and leave aside for 2 to 3 hours.
2. If you are using red chillies, soak them in some vinegar along with the turmeric sticks, cumin and mustard seeds till the chillies turn soft.
3. Grind them along with half of the ginger and garlic to a smooth paste. Set aside.
4. Dry roast the fenugreek seeds, powder, and set aside.
5. Mince fine the other half of the ginger and garlic.
6. Heat the oil, add the slit chillies and curry leaves, and when done, the minced garlic and ginger. Fry for one to two minutes. Add the ground paste and continue to fry till the oil surfaces.
7. Press the brinjal slices between the palms of your hand to remove excess water. Add them to the ground paste and stir fry on low heat for a while.
8. When the brinjals are done add salt, sugar and any left over vinegar, and simmer until the gravy is thick.
9. Remove from fire, cool thoroughly and bottle.