Watermelon Rind Pickles
|Peeled watermelon rind cubes||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Pickling salt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Whole cloves||1 Tablespoon|
1. Soak watermelon rind in a mixture of salt and water in a covered 3-quart glass casserole 2 hours. Drain; rinse with cold water. Return rind to casserole.
2. Cover rind with fresh water. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 20 to 22 minutes at HIGH, or until tender; stir once. Drain; return rind to casserole and set aside.
3. Combine vinegar and sugar in a 2-quart oven-proof glass mixing bowl/pitcher. Tie spices in cheesecloth bag. Add to vinegar and sugar. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 15 minutes at HIGH, or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is boiling; stir 3 times. Remove spice bag.
4. Pour syrup over rind. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 3 minutes at HIGH.
5. Pack pickles into hot sterilized jars; cover. Cool. Store in refrigerator.