Homestead Series How To Can Bread and Butter Pickles
|Cucumber||40 Cup (640 tbs), sliced|
|Onion||10 Cup (160 tbs), sliced|
|Pickling salt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Curing and salt is washed away)|
|Vinegar||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Sugar||12 3⁄4 Cup (204 tbs)|
|Mustard seeds||6 Tablespoon|
|Celery seeds||4 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Ground turmeric||3 Tablespoon|
1. Wash cucumbers and trim a thin slice off from the blossom end. Slice cucumbers and onions into rounds 1/4 inch thick.
2. Transfer the cucumber and onion to a large bowl or pot and sprinkle salt over top. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
3. Drain the cucumber mixture and rinse well.
4. In a large stock pot over medium heat, add vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and ground turmeric. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil.
5. Boil for 10 minutes then add cucumber mixture. Return to a boil and remove from heat.
6. Ladle the pickle into jars. Run a spatula around the outside edges of the jar to remove air bubbles. Wipe the jar rims with a cloth.
7. Add lids and soak in water bath. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove from water bath, and store in a safe place.
8. Serve this Cucumber Pickle with bread and enjoy!
Calories 69 Calories from Fat 2
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.3 g0.46%
Saturated Fat 0.04 g0.18%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2.1 mg0.1%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.44 g1.7%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 0.46 g0.92%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 1.7% Iron 2.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet