Watermelon Rind Pickles
|Pickling salt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pared watermelon rind cubes||12 Cup (192 tbs) (1 Inch)|
|White vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Whole cloves||1 Tablespoon|
1. Mix salt and water in a 3-quart glass casserole; add watermelon rind. Cover and let soak 2 hours. Drain; rinse with cold water. Return rind to casserole.
2. Cover rind with fresh water. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 30 minutes at High, or until tender; stir twice. Drain; return rind to casserole and set aside.
3. Combine vinegar and sugar in a 2-quart glass measuring pitcher. Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag. Add to vinegar and sugar. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 13 to 15 minutes at High, or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is boiling; stir 3 times. Remove spice bag.
4. Pour syrup over rind. Cook uncovered in microwave oven 3 minutes at High.
5. Pack pickles into hot sterilized jars; cover. Cool. Store in refrigerator.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 8665 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.1 g0.15%
Saturated Fat 0.02 g0.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4238.4 mg176.6%
Total Carbohydrates 2178 g725.9%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 1884.8 g
Protein 0.73 g1.5%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C 3.3%
Calcium 8% Iron 4.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet