Green Pepper Casserole
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 , peeled and chopped|
|Ground cooked veal/Lamb||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||2 , peeled and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and minced|
|Raw rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green peppers strip||8 , seeded and sliced into 1 inch strips|
|Tomato sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced fresh basil/1/2 teaspoon dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the onions till they are golden brown in color.
2) Add the meat, mix well and brown it a little, constantly stirring.
3) Add the garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, bay bits, thyme and the raw rice.
4) Saute for a few minutes more, till the rice starts to look opaque.
5) Over the bottom and sides of a slow cooker, smear the butter.
6) In the cooker, layer the green pepper strips and then add the tomato mixture. End with the peppers.
7) Pour the tomato sauce all over the layers and sprinkle with basil.
8) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
9) Transfer the hot, cooked casserole to a serving plate and serve while still hot. Makes a good main course dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1965 Calories from Fat 699
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 79 g121.3%
Saturated Fat 26.3 g131.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 364.5 mg121.5%
Sodium 2203 mg91.8%
Total Carbohydrates 208 g69.3%
Dietary Fiber 12.7 g50.7%
Sugars 31.7 g
Protein 102 g204.7%
Vitamin A 90.8% Vitamin C 202.7%
Calcium 25.9% Iron 47.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet