Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
|Green lentils||2 Ounce|
|Bulgur wheat||2 Ounce|
|Mushrooms||3 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Spring onions||4 , finely chopped|
|Tomatoes||3 Ounce, deseeded & chopped|
|Fresh basil||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh black pepper||To Taste, ground|
|Peppers||32 Ounce (4 large ones, about 8 ounce each)|
1. Cut a lid from the stem end of the peppers and scoop out the seeds and membranes.
2. In a large pan of boiling water quickly blanch the pepper shells for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Drain well and cool by refreshing under cold running water.
4. In a saucepan add bulgur wheat with cold water and bring to boil, and let simmer for 15 minutes till bulgur is tender. Drain and set aside
5. Separately, in a saucepan add lentils and cold water and bring to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes till lentils are tender. Drain and set aside.
6. In a mixing bowl, add cooked lentil and cooked bulgur wheat, add chopped mushrooms, spring onions, tomatoes, basil, parsley and season with salt and pepper and mix well.
7. Now, take the blanched pepper shells and gently fill in the shells with this lentil and bulgur stuffing. Place the pepper lids back on the shells after stuffing.
8. In a deep oven proof dish, cover and bake the stuffed peppers in a pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes.
9. Remove the lid form the dish and allow to cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, till peppers are cooked tender.
10. Serve hot with rice or green vegetables or pasta or a crusty bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2781 Calories from Fat 268
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.2%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 836.3 mg34.8%
Total Carbohydrates 679 g226.3%
Dietary Fiber 273.3 g1093.1%
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 127 g254.7%
Vitamin A 163.2% Vitamin C 437.4%
Calcium 417% Iron 1511.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet