Spinach And Red Pepper Gratin
|Spinach||1 Pound, tough stalks removed|
|Red peppers||2 , cored, seeded and cut into thin strips|
|Celery sticks||4 , thinly sliced|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled, finely chopped|
|Sultanas||1 Ounce, chopped|
|Sweet paprika||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Raw cane sugar||1 1⁄2 Pinch (Use A Generous Pinch)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Pinch|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||4 Tablespoon|
|Silken tofu||5 Ounce, drained|
|Wholemeal breadcrumbs||4 Tablespoon (Use Fresh)|
1) In lots of cold water, wash the spinach well and then shake off the excess moisture.
2) In a roasting bag, put the spinach.
3) With an elastic band, seal loosely, leaving a gap so that steam can escape.
4) In the microwave, place the bag upright and on high power, cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the leaves pack down.
5) Drain well and reserve the liquid. Keep the spinach aside.
6) In a shallow casserole, combine the peppers, celery and onion.
7) On high power, cook tightly covered for 15 minutes, stirring many times in between.
8) In another bowl, combine the sultanas, paprika, sugar, cinnamon, salt, tomato puree, arrowroot and approximately 2 tablespoons of the reserved spinach liquid.
9) On high power, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thick.
10) Into the cooked vegetables, add this.
11) Cook covered for 2 minutes.
12) In a flameproof dish, layer the spinach and mixed vegetables.
13) In a small bowl, beat the tofu and 3 tablespoons of the crumbs together.
14) Over the vegetables, spread this mixture.
15) Add the remaining crumbs on top.
16) Brown this under the grill.
17) Serve the Spinach and Red Pepper Gratinee hot.
Calories 175 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.2%
Saturated Fat 0.29 g1.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 565.1 mg23.5%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.5%
Sugars 14.2 g
Protein 9 g17.7%
Vitamin A 257.4% Vitamin C 205.5%
Calcium 17.6% Iron 24.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet