Mixed Greens With Crackling And Hot Pepper Vinegar
|Bacon slab/6 slices smoked bacon, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick||1⁄4 Pound, double-smoked, with rind, cut into 1/4-inch cubes|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped|
|Chicken stock/Canned low- sodium broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Broccoli rabe||1⁄2 Pound, trimmed, tough stems removed and cut into bite-size pieces|
|Escarole||1 Pound, torn into bite-size pieces (1 Head)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Hot pepper vinegar||To Taste|
1) Heat up a large saucepan over moderately high heat.
2) Add the bacon to cook until crisp and browned, about 6 minutes.
3) Place the bacons on paper towels to drain.
4) Discard the bacon fat and pour in olive oil.
5) SautÃ© the onion by reducing the heat to moderate and cook until the onion is softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
6) Pour in the chicken stock and scrape off the browned bits in the bottom of the pan.
7) Add the broccoli rabe and place a cover.
8) Stir and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
9) Add the escarole and cook by stirring for 5 minutes or until wilted.
10) In a large platter, arrange the greens and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with bits of bacon and serve hot or warm. Pass Hot Pepper Vinegar on side.