Mixed Greens With Crackling And Hot Pepper Vinegar
|Bacon slab/6 slices smoked bacon, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick||1⁄4 Pound, double-smoked, with rind, cut into 1/4-inch cubes|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped|
|Chicken stock/Canned low- sodium broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Broccoli rabe||1⁄2 Pound, trimmed, tough stems removed and cut into bite-size pieces|
|Escarole||1 Pound, torn into bite-size pieces (1 Head)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Hot pepper vinegar||To Taste|
1) Heat up a large saucepan over moderately high heat.
2) Add the bacon to cook until crisp and browned, about 6 minutes.
3) Place the bacons on paper towels to drain.
4) Discard the bacon fat and pour in olive oil.
5) SautÃ© the onion by reducing the heat to moderate and cook until the onion is softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
6) Pour in the chicken stock and scrape off the browned bits in the bottom of the pan.
7) Add the broccoli rabe and place a cover.
8) Stir and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
9) Add the escarole and cook by stirring for 5 minutes or until wilted.
10) In a large platter, arrange the greens and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with bits of bacon and serve hot or warm. Pass Hot Pepper Vinegar on side.
Calories 207 Calories from Fat 145
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.5%
Saturated Fat 5 g25.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.4 mg7.8%
Sodium 460.2 mg19.2%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.6%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 8 g15.6%
Vitamin A 78.9% Vitamin C 34.9%
Calcium 13% Iron 13.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet