Stuffed Green Peppers
|Green peppers||4 Large|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Ground beef/Pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Thick white bread slices||1|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Summer savory||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1) Rinse the peppers and dry them. With a sharp knife, cut off the stalk ends with a small circle of pepper attached to each of them.
2) Keep the stalks aside and take out the seeds and ribs very carefully from the peppers. Ensure that the skins do not break.
3) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
4) In a saucepan of boiling slightly salted water, scald the peppers for about 5 minutes.
5) Take the peppers out and keep them upside down to drain.
6) Peel the onion and finely chop it. Cook the onion till it is transparent in 1 tablespoon of the oil placed in a heavy-bottomed pan.
7) Add the meat to the pan and cook, continuously stirring, till it has turned brown and separated into grains.
8) Take the pan off the heat and discard any fat that has collected while cooking.
9) Use a fork to mash the bread and egg and then stir the mixture into the meat. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
10) Add the parsley and thoroughly blend till the stuffing is firm, but still damp.
11) Use oil to brush the insides of an ovenproof dish.
12) Into the peppers, spoon the stuffing loosely and place the stuffed peppers upright in the greased dish.
13) Use aluminium foil to tightly cover the peppers and put a lid as well. Bake the peppers in the center of the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
13) On a warmed serving dish, arrange the cooked peppers and replace the stalk caps at an angle so that some of the stuffing inside the peppers shows.
14) Serve hot along with crusty French bread and tomato sauce flavored with paprika and sour cream.